Circuit News & Events

 

PARTNERSHIP WITH THE ASCENSION TRUST

I hope that by now many of you will have met Danielle Young who is our new Youth & Children’s worker.  Well I say “our” but actually Danielle is employed by the Ascension Trust who are the organisation behind Street Pastors and we in the Lambeth Circuit are very privileged to be working in partnership with them on a new and exciting Project.

I recently had the joy of signing our Agreement with Les Isaacs who is the CEO of Ascension Trust.  We are providing premises (Kings Acre) and some funding from the Kings Acre Community Fund.  In return we receive 40% of Danielle’s time.  The other 60% she will be devoting to the community.  It is hoped that in time Danielle will be joined by other Youth Workers and Interns as the Project takes off.

Danielle’s main role will be working with YUW and also with individual Churches to help them develop their work with Children & Young People.  She will have already visited your Church by the time you read this so I hope you made her welcome!

Rev. Andrew Dart
Chair of the 60:40 Project Steering Group

 

TULSE HILL FUNDRAISING FUN DAY!!!

On Saturday - 23rd September, Tulse Hill held its Hymnathon.  As the day approached everyone began wondering why we had agreed to such a mad idea – to sing for 12 hours without interruption – in order to raise money for our organ fund, for the homeless charity Spires, and for the St. Matthew’s Project (a local Youth project in which one of our young members was actively involved until his tragic death in the summer). 

But we needn’t have worried.  The day was a fantastic success.  We were supported by singers and musicians from Brixton Hill, Clapham and Stockwell Methodist Churches, as well as by professional singers and an amazing Steel Pan band.  There was food, a barbeque, face painting – and the sun was shining!

 

           

 

We were even blessed by a visit from the Mayor of Lambeth, Councillor Marcia Cameron (see insert), who joined in the singing and dancing and even had a go at the steel pan drumming.  Everyone at Tulse Hill went home with hoarse voices and happy hearts!

        

 We raised £1200 but there is still time to send us a donation. Our thanks to everyone, for working so hard but especially to Vidal who organized everything so enthusiastically.

Rev. Andrew Dart

 

ROBES

As the nights draw in we are reminded again of those who face the cold winter nights without any home to sleep in.   Numbers of rough sleepers continue to increase, particularly in London.  The Robes project has celebrated its tenth year of serving the homeless in Southwark and Lambeth by providing shelter through these winter nights.  For the second year running, the Circuit will be involved with venues at both Lambeth Mission and Mostyn Road: Wednesday nights until mid- January at Lambeth Mission, Friday nights from late January to mid-March at Mostyn Road.

Once again, all kinds of help will be needed, with donations both of money and of food welcome, but also practical help on the nights, helping to prepare meals, provide hospitality and overnight supervision.  If you can help in any of these ways, please contact Rev. David Musgrave for Mostyn Road - davidmusgrave@hotmail.co.uk

ROBES Night Shelter is currently running at Lambeth Mission & St Mary's since Wednesday - 1st November 2017 to Wednesday - 10th January 2018 and as aforementioned we need volunteers to help set up, welcome the guests, cook dinner, breakfast and help serving the guests. 

For more information on how to volunteer at Lambeth Mission, please contact Alice Achola-Omara - aliceaomara@gmail.com or Rev. Dr. Andy Lyonsandylyons58@gmail.com  

 

JAZZ CONCERT

If you enjoy jazz you can indulge yourself and support Robes by coming to the benefit concert by the South London Jazz Orchestra, at Brixton Hill on Saturday - 2 December at 6:00 p.m.  The orchestra, which is based at Mostyn Road Church, has offered us this concert in gratitude for the hospitality at Mostyn Road.  Half of the profits will go to support the Robes project.  Look out for more information.

 

BEREAVEMENT MINISTRY

                             

Coping with bereavement after the lost of a loved one is difficult and painful that's why it is important that we get the support we need during this heart-breaking/devastating time in our lives.  Our Circuit offers Bereavement Support which started October last year and meets every Saturday from 11:00 to 1:00 p.m. at Railton Road Methodist Church (141 Railton Road, London SE24 0LT).  

If you think you need this support or know someone who will will benefit from this, please feel free to contact Rev. Lena Ali on 020 8889 5691 and book an appointment, if you feel you need a session on your own not a group session let her know...