The 1st of September 2020 marks an important date in the history of Methodism in the London Borough of Lambeth as it is the day when for the first time all Methodists across the borough will be united in one Circuit. Lambeth is one of the most diverse and vibrant parts of London and for a long time there has been a dream amongst many Methodists that one Circuit would enable us to work and witness to our faith with one voice. Finally, that dream has reached its fulfilment as the present Lambeth Circuit and the Clapham Circuit merged. We are now 9 churches, but one circuit and we will at last be able to speak out with unanimity.
Churches: Pastoral Oversight:
- Brixton Hill Methodist Church Rev. Kristin Markay
- Clapham Methodist Church Rev. Dr. Eleanor Jackson
- Lambeth Mission & St. Mary's Rev. Dr. Andy Lyons
- Mostyn Road Methodist Church Rev. Kristin Markay
- Railton Road Methodist Church Rev. Lena Ali/Rev. Andy Dart
- Springfield Methodist Church Rev. Rita King
- Stockwell Methodist Church Rev. Rita King
- Streatham Methodist Church Rev. Andy Dart
- Tulse Hill Methodist Church Rev. Andy Dart
Amidst unprecedented circumstances, we still held our Inaugural Service (with limited attendees only) to celebrate this merger on Sunday – 06 September (4:00 p.m.) at Clapham Methodist Church (121 Clapham High St, Clapham Town, London SW4 7JR) with Rev. Nigel Cowgill as Guest Preacher.
The Vision in the 80’s was to have a ‘Lambeth Circuit’ in this area, and through a lot of prayers and hard work we managed to officially merged Brixton & Streatham Circuit in 2012, then with Lambeth Mission in 2016 and now with Clapham Circuit.
Looking back, in September 2012 when the six Churches of Brixton & Streatham Circuits came together as one circuit, the subsequent merger between Brixton Hill Methodist Church and Kings Acre Methodist Church, reduced us to five churches…
- Brixton Hill Methodist Church
- Mostyn Road Methodist Church
- Railton Road Methodist Church
- Streatham Methodist Church
- Tulse Hill Methodist Church
As aforementioned, another significant change was in September 2016 – the merger between Brixton & Streatham Circuit and North Lambeth Circuit which is known as 'Lambeth Circuit'. The highlight of this significant event in the life of our circuit was the Inaugural Service held on Saturday - 04 September 2016 (4:00 p.m. ) at the Lambeth Mission & St. Mary's (3-5 Lambeth Road, London SE1 7DQ) with Rev. Jenny Impey as Guest Preacher. Below are the two additional Churches in this merger:
- Lambeth Mission & St. Mary's Rev. Dr. Andy Lyon
- Vauxhall Mission Rev. Dr. Andy Lyon (this is currently close now)
For now, we are actively working in partnership with Citizens, Community Land Trust, Refugee Welcome Committee, Lambeth Inter-Faith Network, Robes Winter Shelter etc which raised awareness on the visibility and presence of the Methodist Community within the Local Authority and the Borough.
Due to the current trend of gentrification all over London, we are facing new and exciting challenges of expansion and development and we embrace the opportunities to thrive and move forward to secure a better legacy for our next generation. We, the Church of today - celebrate that!